Monday, May 24, 2010

Meet Miss Fluff

Good morning, all you stylish people! You might remember me mentioning some of the wonderfully quirky products by Fluff here and here. Well, today I'll be talking to the girl in charge of Fluff and all its cuteness: Miss Fluff herself! Claudette Barjoud, also known as Miss Fluff, studied at the Pratt Institute in Brooklyn (majoring in film and animation) before graduating from the New World School of the Arts in Miami as a computer arts major. Now, let's hear more about her and her girlie chic label!


WSW Alert! Fluff








Claudette, tell us: how long has Fluff been around? What did you do before you opened your online store?

I worked for several companies doing illustration and product/packaging design before starting Fluff. One of my favorite jobs was as a designer for Frederick's of Hollywood. What fun I had flinging thongs about at work! I got to design the cheekiest things there, including packaging for edible underwear and different flavors of whipped body cream! I also liked working there because they had a treasure trove of vintage catalogs
from the 1950's that had the most fantastic pinup-style artwork.

Fluff started as a scribble in my sketchbook long ago. It was something I had been dreaming about for quite a while. In 2002 I decided to give it a chance. I  took some time off of work to draw up about 24 glitter and rhinestoned greeting card designs and showed them at the gift show in Los Angeles. That was the very first debut of Fluff!  



Tell us more about Fluff and what it's about.

Fluff is about super cute, ultra glam stuff inspired by retro/ vintage style. I just love designing things that make you want to say "ooh! That is so cute!!" or simply just squeal with delight!

What does your average day look like?

I am usually surgically attached to my computer for most of the day, designing the next collections and also keeping up with the website, which I update myself. When not on the computer I like to paint and do sculpture.

What inspires you, in your art and as a person?

Oh, lot's of things! It could be anything.... coming across an interesting piece of vintage wallpaper or fabric,
the colors of a painting, somone's shoe. But overall I am find myself inspired by the art and style of the 1920's through the 60's. I love anything and everything from those decades, the art, the fashion, advertising graphics, hair styles, makeup etc... I especially love pinup art like that of artists such as Enoch Bowles and Elvgren.
Also growing up with Hello Kitty and Barbie they seem to be ingrained in my DNA!


How would you describe the décor in your own home?

It is an eclectic mix of mid century modern, tiki, and sparkly artwork with lots of crystals. 

Are there any designers, labels or online stores that you're a big fan of?

Yes! Betsey Johnson, Lulu Guiness, Anna Sui, Tarina Tarantino, Fornarina. They are all very glamorous, fun and imaginative.

Where can we find you online or contact you?

I can be found through my site, on Facebook and on Twitter.

































Thanks so much, Claudette, for chatting to us! I can't speak for everyone, but I know I certainly squeal with delight whenever I see new products in the Fluff store! I particularly love the new Sweet Shoppe Collection and Fluff's greeting cards. There are also some marvellous Tattoo Pooch luggage tags just in, and you'll get 10% off your order if you buy before 28 May. So don't miss out!

No comments:

Post a Comment