Thursday, April 1, 2010

Things I’ve made

I’ve always admired people who can make something beautiful out of fabric, and yesterday’s post just reminded me of that. Maybe it’s because I can’t sew to save my life. Really, I once tried to make a pair of pj pants, which is reputedly the easiest garment to sew, and I managed to make a magnificent mess of it. (For the polar opposite of my end result, though, visit SleepyHeads.com. They have the loveliest pajamas I’ve ever seen.)

Nevertheless, I have managed to learn how to sew on a button, and I am in fact capable – like most other beings with opposable thumbs – of executing the running stitch. I can also cut, mind you, but not in a straight line. So after discovering Flickr and drooling over the images in groups like Fiber and Textile for several months, I thought: what kind of a person would I be if I just went on and on about hand-crafted stuff and never tried to make anything myself?




This is what transpired. I made about 17 layered felt flowers using some fabric scraps and old buttons I had lying around. Then I glued them to about 3 metres of wide ribbon at equal distances and hung the whole thing from my wall. What do you think?

Hey, it’s not a masterpiece. And my photography is about as bad as my needlework. But at least I can say I tried my hand at sewing crafts! And it’s NOT the easiest thing in the world, let me tell you. It takes a lot of time. I have even more respect for professional crafters now.

But for some inexplicable reason, one attempt wasn’t enough for me. Nooo. But this time I was wiser. Before I tell you the story, take a look at my final product. I’m quite proud of it!


I bought these buttons very cheaply at a fabulous habbies store called Toucan. Unfortunately, having no experience with buttons whatsoever, I bought too few the first time and I had to go back and get more. Naturally I took the half-finished cushion along, and the friendly old ladies there oohed and aahed over it. Oh, stop it, I said, I can’t sew at all. But you put in this zipper and everything! they argued. And that’s when I had to confess I’d bought the finished cushion at Mr Price Home and the only thing I’d done myself was embroider the heart and sew on the buttons (and not very nicely either). I think they were a little disappointed.

I’d love to hear your comments on my ‘creations’. Do you think they’re horrid? Did you expect more? Are you pleasantly surprised? I’ll take any insults with a grain of salt, but I won’t stand for comparisons between my humble attempts and the work of professional Etsy merchants! ;-)

Have you ever been disillusioned by failed dreams of a sewing career? You can tell me – I feel your pain.

4 comments:

  1. Haha; what a humble post! I think your flowers and the outline heart pillow with the buttons are SOOOO cute!! I'd love to receive one as a gift! So don't be too hard on yourself! T_T (However, I feel your pain when I make videos on cake decorating techniques!) Still, I think with crafts & anything art, the most important factor for talent is a good EYE for art, and you've definitely got it! FOR SURE! Great job! Super cute!:-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just overly cute! Your pillow is actually an idea I wanted to realize with my buttons from this post - seeing your pillow now, I think I'll do it! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, thanks guys! I'm pretty sure these won't be my last attempts either. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great!! My fav is that gorgeous pillow!!

    ReplyDelete