Friday, March 19, 2010

We heart bright colours

As more and more industries look for sustainable alternatives for their products, I’m proud to feature a company that actually produces sustainable jewellery!

WSW Alert! LeJu



Founded by Lenny Trines and Juan Munoz, LeJu designs and makes jewellery from vegetable ivoryIf you also don’t know what that is, here’s the lowdown: it’s a seed from a type of palm tree in the Amazonian rain forest. Obviously, using vegetable ivory is a much better option than real ivory because elephants don’t have to be killed for it. Other tropical seeds are also sometimes incorporated into LeJu’s designs, and the result is that people have jobs while the trees stay standing.

Aside from the fact that I think these pieces look REALLY cool and would totally jazz up, say, a plain white shirt, the vegetable ivory also hardens with time, so your jewellery becomes more valuable the older it gets. Here are my favourites from their current collections!



























If you’re already intrigued, just wait until I interview these guys. I’m sure they’ll have some very interesting things to say! In the meantime, why not admire all their creations and pick out some for yourself on their website? You can also send them an e-mail if you have any questions.

Speaking of sustainability, I was shocked to find out that I really don’t know anything about where the stuff I buy comes from. For example, I’ve never even considered that the major manufacturers of chocolate bars may be directly responsible for the destruction of rain forests. And here I was thinking I’m not doing anything wrong! Read this – it’ll wake you up. Then click on some of the Related Articles at the bottom of that page and prepare to change your outlook.

Have a fantastic weekend guys!

3 comments:

  1. Love the first necklaces! The earrings (second picture) are gorgeous, but I wonder if they're heavy? I'm so ready for Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great for jazzing up a winter outfit. I've missed your blog, the last couple of days and now I'm catching up. I love that bracelette, the chunky one. Perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think if I had to choose one it would be the necklace at the bottom. It should work beautifully for both spring and winter! Spring with a little yellow dress maybe, and winter with a blue V-necked sweater.

    ReplyDelete