Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Turning on the charm

I'm very excited to introduce you to Hildegarde of Charming Ideas. We were in res together at university and she now makes beautiful charm bracelets and handbag charms. Just take a look:








I love this watch!





How did you get into jewellery making?

I started making charm bracelets because I could never find one that I like, and the ones I did like were usually too expensive! I started dabbling in jewellery making about two years ago, but I started with charm bracelets about 8 months ago. To me, making jewellery is a creative outlet as well as a way of supplying other women with affordable costume jewellery. Sure, it won’t last forever, but for that price you can buy two or three!

Do you create designs yourself or work according to clients' specifications? 

Both. I like designing my own creations, but I also design according to clients’ preferences. For example, one lady wanted a charm bracelet for her daugther’s 21st birthday and wanted specific charms and colours to match the girl’s personality and taste.


What inspires you?

I find inspiration in fashion magazines,  the internet, and also in my surroundings. I like linking my colour choices and designs to what is trendy at the moment. So it’s still my own design, but it has an element of what is fashionable at the moment, be it coins or royal blue beads.

I also look at my surroundings and try to take something out of it. I love seeing contrasts in nature such as a mountain set against a bright blue sky, or a colourful flower set against brilliantly green grass.

What are the average prices of your creations?

My creations average at around R50 per item. At the moment I have four types of items available, although I will be expanding my product base in the near future. Currently I sell plain charm bracelets (R45), charm bracelets with beads (R55) and watch charm bracelets with beads (R110). I also make handbag charms (R50).

How can we get in touch with you?

Email me at hsmouton@gmail.com. Or visit my blog at http://hills-charms.blogspot.com and click on “View my complete profile” and then click on “Email”.

Here are some more examples of her fantastic work. Which one is your favourite? 














6 comments:

  1. Very cool, bought two for my wife and she loves them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course - what woman could say no to these? ;-) We girls always love a bit of bling. You have excellent taste!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cool! Don't stop blogging, Jolette, I'm reading every day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful jewelry! And a very interesting article.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so beautiful and creative. I love hearing whats out there. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love these charms! They are so pretty! And they are completely locally made! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete