Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Poetry is the fabric of living

I absolute adore poetry, especially works by classic authors (anything pre-1900 is good). Think William Wordsworth, Emily Dickenson, John Milton and of course our beloved Shakespeare. But I’m also a fan of Poetry, a South African homeware, gift and clothing boutique. To give you an idea of the wonderful things they offer, I’ve selected some of my favourite products from their current collection. These are available from their stores countrywide as well as from their online shop/website.

(Click to enlarge)

Doorknob Creme & Black R50


"Love" Embossed Heart Tile R90


Napkin 45x45 cm R25


Drinking Glass R35


Frangipane Cake Plate R200


Yvette Floppy Hat R70


Photo Album Small R199


Wild Fig Pillar Candle R109


Olive Oil Soap R20


Black Ginger Hand & Body Cream R59


5" x 7" Photo Frame R99


Leather Shopping Bag R699


Frangipane Sangria Jug R180


What do you think? Wouldn’t these make fabulous gifts? I really like those glasses - they're available in several colours. I can just see myself serving my home-made tropical lemonade concoction in them! 

And on the subject of poetry, let’s have a beautiful sonnet to finish off today’s post.

Sonnet 43

How do I love thee?  Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I love thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need, by sun and candlelight.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints,--I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life!--and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.

 - Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Sonnets from the Portuguese

3 comments:

  1. Oh, you and I are so alike. We love so many of the same things. Poetry is just the most amazing range. I loved their clothes when they were in Cape Union Mart and now they have their own stores, I am in love... That jug rocks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This just makes my insides all warm and fuzzy -such utterly beautiful creations.... The glass is to die for (totally loving the details) but the frame is by far my favourite... would look fantasic in my flat! Must buy...!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace, you've convinced me about the jug. :-) Now I see myself actually pouring the lemonade from it!
    Nella, I'd say sepia or B/W would look even better than colour in that frame.

    ReplyDelete